“Palazzo di villa” Baliano Spinola currently condominium C.so Andrea Podesta n 9

"Palazzo di villa" Baliano Spinola currently condominium C.so Andrea Podesta n 9

1588

The ancient villa of the Baliano family, consisted of a building constructed toward the end of the XVI century, which, from the typical parallelepiped shape, developed on six levels.

Characters:
Cristoforo Spinola

ATTENTION

On the spinola.it site we are working on the revision of all the repertoires.
Many of these are still to be updated in content and formatting.

The board

The ancient villa of the Baliano family, consisted of a building constructed toward the end of the XVI century, which, from the typical parallelepiped shape, developed on six levels: Cellars/stables, raised ground floor, mezzanine, noble floor and mezzanine attic. A Palladian staircase outside the building connected the street floor to the entrance hall and then to the ground floor of the building. The scenic double staircase outside was enclosed in a small courtyard surrounded by stone and brick pillars, connected to each other with iron gratings. The building was surrounded by cultivated land, in particular vineyards for the production and sale of wine.

The text is entirely taken with the permission of the author from an article by Dr. Armando of Raimondo “Il palazzo di villa di Gio. Batta Baliano a Genova. Batta Baliano in Genoa. The legacy of the Doge Bernardo Clavarezza”.
Published on http://www.iisl.genova.it/mwa/content/structured/10/11/attachments/Villa Baliano.pdf 

Where

Where

"Palazzo di villa" Baliano Spinola currently condominium C.so Andrea Podesta n 9

Corso Andrea Podestà 9
16128 Genova – Italy

Via Baliano, an alley in the area of Carignano that still today connects Corso Andrea Podesta with Piazza San Leonardo, was once a “creuza” of countryside, close between ancient walls, that marked the boundary between the property of the Baliano and that of the monastery of San Leonardo (currently, Andrea Doria barracks ).

History

HISTORY OF THE ESTATE

Clavarezza Estate: The construction of the villa is owed to Pomellina Campanaro, assisted by his son and future Doge Bernardo Clavarezza, who in 1588, already having a rural residence in Carignano, decided to build another more suited to the requirements of representation.  On the death of his mother, the villa passed to his son Bernardo Clavarezza who died in 1627 appointing as his universal heir, his nephew Gio Batta Baliano, son of his sister Francesca.
Baliano Estate: The Baliano Estate passed onto Barbara, the only daughter of Carlo Baliano.  Barbara married Vincenzo Spinola, son of Domenico of the branch of San Luca in 1716. Domenico, the only son of the couple, was born in 1717. Domenico in turn married the noblewoman Benedetta Serra, whose only son was named Vincenzo after his grandfather. Barbara remained widow after the premature death of her husband Vincenzo Spinola in February 1743, which followed the equally premature death of her son Domenico who died in Novi Ligure on December 12, 1753, when Vincenzo was little more than a year old. In 1755 Barbara’s mother, Antonia Veneroso, was still alive. The mother of Barbara, Antonia Veneroso, wife of Carlo Baliano, put order in the hereditary Baliano axis, appointing her daughter Barbara as heir and establishing a fideicommissum the benefit of her great-grandson Vincenzo, son of the late Domenico and Benedetta Serra.
Spinola estate: After the death of Antonia Veneroso and Barbara Baliano, Vincenzo Spinola still a child inherited the real estate empire of the Balian family including the “villa palace” in Carignano. At the death of Vincenzo, having no direct heirs, his patrimony was inherited by his cousins Serra.
Serra estate: in 1852, Marina Serra, illegitimate daughter then recognized by Marquis Gio Batta Serra, married in second marriage Gio Batta Spinola, son of Ippolito. From the marriage a son was born, Ippolitino. At the death of the Marquis Serra due to his will, the patrimony passed on to the daughter of the first marriage of Marina, Francisca Maria Arcangela Aicardi. In 1863 Francisca decided to sell the property of Carignano to Tomaso Repetto, a wealthy merchant, who began the allotment of the property.
Spinola Estate: in 1864 Cristoforo Raimondo Spinola, son of Agostino and Camilla de Berenger, acquired a large lot of the property, including the ancient Baliano palazzo and a part of the garden. The last small batches of the Balian latifundium were purchased by Anna Spinola of Tassarolo, wife of Cristoforo Raimondo, between 1868 and 1870. Christopher Raimondo died in 1866 and Anna Spinola remained the sole owner of the ancient Balian palazzo of Carignano. Anna Spinola died in 1871 not having any direct descendants, appointing as universal heirs, the children of her brothers Christopher, Maximilian and Bendinelli.  The only one of the three brothers to have had descendants was Bendinelli. Bendinelli died in 1886 and his sons Paolo, Anna, Massimiliano and Giacomo, together with his widow, Teresa Centurione, divided the inheritance of 1891. The palace of Carignano was assigned to the two brothers Paolo and Massimiliano Spinola of Tassarolo. After Paul’s death, the palazzo remained in Massimiliano’s patrimony and upon his death it passed into co-ownership to the six sons of Massimiliano. Following the bombing of the second World War, the palace suffered serious damage, in 1950 the heirs of Maximilian decided to sell it to the real estate company “Andrea Podesta”. In 1951, the Ministry of Public Works authorized the construction of a new building on the area of the palazzo and the adjacent garden which were used to make room for the current imposing building of Corso Andrea Podesta n 9.