Simone Spinola was born in Genoa about1497, son of Giovanni Battista Spinola of the branch of Luccoli and Lord of many fiefs, and of Perinetta Lercari. He was a skilful merchant and Doge of the Republic of Genoa since 1567 to1569.
He married Eliana Spinola, from whom he had ten children, including the magnificent Paolo Battista remembered because he left a huge sum for the construction of a Chapel in the Church of Saint Ambrose, to honour the Saints John the Baptist and Catherine, as well as two precious paintings.
His activities, before being elected Doge, were numerous: In 1522 he was a member of the Masseria of Genovese Merchants of Antwerp in Flanders, where he served as a merchant officer. In 1527 he returned to Genoa where he was proclaimed one of the Elders of the city. In 1528 he became Consul of the Caleghe, that is, an officer dedicated to impounds and the following year, an official in the bank; in 1536 he was awarded the office of Father of the Municipality; in 1558 he was a minor judge “sindacatore minore” and commissioned to follow the restoration of the Cathedral; Finally, in 1559, Governor of the Republic, in 1566 he was sent as Ambassador to Pope Pio V Ghislieri.
He became Doge in October 15, 1567, the twenty-first of two-year successions and the fifty-fifth in the history of the Republic, after the previous management of Ottavio Gentile Odorico.
Simone Spinola died in office on October 3, 1569 and was succeeded by Doge Paolo Giustiniani Moneglia.
In his dogal two-year period he managed to pacify Corsica, he accepted with liberality and far-sightedness the excuses of the Corsican people despite the torts suffered by the Republic.
His remains were placed in the Chapel dedicated to Santa Caterina da Siena, (purchased by his father Giovanni Battista Spinola between 1499 and 1501), in the church of San Domenico of Genoa where a splendid mausoleum was raised.
image taken from: https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simone_Spinola#/media/File:Doge_Simone_Spinola-dipinto_di_Andrea_Semino.jpg